Friday, October 22, 2010

"Aladdin" by James Russell Lowell

"Aladdin" by James Russell Lowell

I had to memorize the poem, ALADDIN, in the 7th grade. It has remained with me since "I was a beggarly boy" At this stage of my life, I can truly identify with the poem's theme.

When I was a beggarly boy
And lived in a cellar damp,
I had not a friend nor a toy,
But I had Aladdin's lamp;

When I could not sleep for the cold,
I had fire enough in my brain,
And builded, with roofs of gold,
My beautiful castles in Spain!

Since then I have toiled day and night,
I have money and power good store,
But I'd give all my lamps of silver bright
For the one that is mine no more;

Take, Fortune, whatever you choose,
You gave, and may snatch again;
I have nothing 'twould pain me to lose,
For I own no more castles in Spain!

[The end]






______________________________________________

1 comment:

  1. Re. Your twitter update

    The original text did not read "Don't argue with nobody" but "Don't argue with 'A' nobody"... so this is not a case of a double negative.
    'Nobody' in that sentence is not a pronoun: it has become a noun due to the presence of the indefinite article 'a'.

    ReplyDelete

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter